BROOKS HOUSE SURVEY DELAYED BY COMMUTERS

LACK OF FACILITIES FOR SOCIAL CONTACTS REVEALED

Owing to a lack of cooperation among many commuting students in filling out and returning questionnaires which the Phillips Brooks House has mailed to 720 non-resident students, the survey will be postponed indefinitely, E. S. Amazeen '31, graduate secretary of Brooks House, announced yesterday.

Only 371 blanks have been returned thus far and since at least 500 are necessary to obtain a fair cross-section of opinion and an accurate idea of the many complications of the commuter problem no complete tabulations will be made public until the remaining questionnaires are forwarded to Mr. Amazeen.

Although the survey is not strictly official, authorities in University Hall, and House masters take a deep interest in the problem of commuters, since they constitute one-fourth of the College enrollment.

The present attempt to obtain sufficient valid information to give the Administration substantial material for future consideration of handling commuters, was prompted by an article in a recent issue of the Alumni Bulletin by J. L. Coolidge, master of Lowell House, and by an investigation conducted by the Student Council last year.

From the partial results of the survey, the chief complaint of students who answer "yes" to the question, "Do you feel in any way left out of the Harvard system?" seems to be caused by the inadequate facilities which the college affords for allowing non-residents to share in the social life of the undergraduate body.

This complaint has been aggavated by the House Plan, House Athletics in place of Class teams, and the conversion of the Union as a club for all Harvard students into a recreational and dining center for Freshmen.