MR. DR VOTO RESIGNS

The announcement that Mr. Bernard De Voto is to resign from his editorship of the Harvard Graduates Magazine calls to mind the marked change on policy of that publication during his two years at its head. From a scholarly production replete with erudite, inconclusive dissertations, Mr. De Voto has elevated the Graduates Magazine to an active organ of opinion. Its comments on the University, although occasionally forced in their attempts to be completely critical, have attracted wide attention through their usually keen perception and judicious proposals. New and interesting departments have been created for the expression of undergraduate, graduate, and alumni opinion. Other contributors have been impressed and considerably influenced by Mr. De Voto's direct and effective simplicity of style. Under his able guidance, the whole structure of the magazine has been cleared of mossy scholasticism; it has on the whole become a live, interesting, and thoughtful quarterly.

The University should offer a fertile field for such a publication. The nature of its huge organization affords unusual opportunities for constructive criticism; it contains trained men with literary ability who are able to treat intelligently not only educational problems but others of broader scope; and it provides this type of magazine with a class of readers sure to be interested in such a content. The inspiration necessary for the establishment of a forceful University publication Mr. De Voto has lent to the Graduates Magazine during his short term as editor. He passes on to his successor a live, interesting magazine which is fast becoming a real force. The Graduates Magazine would be wise to continue his policy; other University publications might profitably examine the causes of its success.