Students Maintain High Scholastic Stand, Dean's April Report Shows-Make Three Percent Improvement Over Last Year

From the April Quarterly Report on file at the Dean's Office it was learned yesterday that the improvement over last year's grades which was evident in the mid-year report, has been maintained and in may cases has even been bettered.

This report verifies the trend at mid-years, which indicated that the depression was probably responsible for the improvement.

Particularly noticeable has been the improvement in the whole college. Last year 11 percent of the 3240 enrollment were failing. This year only 8 percent are deficient.

According to the figures, the Junior Class has the best standing in the College with only 4.7 percent of the men doing unsatisfactory work. Last year 6.1 percent were falling, and in 1928, the percentage reached 8.5.

The Freshmen have made a great improvement since mid-years, when 17.8 percent were delinquent. The April figures showed that the percentage has been reduced to 12.6.

To the Class of 1934 goes credit for the greatest improvement over last year's figures. The Sophomores have reduced their percentage of unsatisfactory students from 12.1 to 7.5.

The only group that have failed to improve has been that consisting of dropped Freshmen, who have fallen from 8.6 falling last year to 12.1 percent this year.

Commenting on these revelations Dean Hanford said: 'The rise in grades might be due to the House Plan, but even in the Freshman Class there are gratifying indications. This may be attributed to the grouping of Freshmen in the yard, with special attention from advisors, and proctors. The improvements in the teaching of English A my also be largely responsible.

"Concerning this dropped Freshmen the percentage has risen because the requirements have been made more difficult. Instead of two D's and two C's, three C's are now necessary to got into the Sophomore Class. The figures give definite indication that the grades are steadily increasing. In 1928 14.1 percent of the entire college were doing unsatisfactory work. Now only 8 percent are falling."