HARVARD WINS IN DOUBLE FORENSIC MEET WITH YALE

University Debaters Argue For Hoover as President in Lowell House and Against Him at Yale

Outwitting the Yale speakers at every turn of the argument last night two Harvard teams, one speaking in Lowell House, the other in New Haven, won one of the most inspiring forensic victories over Yale since the history of these intercollegiate debates. The six judges who presided over the arguments gave their solid and unanimous vote to the Crimson speakers, both at home and abroad.

Announcement was made during the Yale debate that P. H. Cohen '32 has been awarded the Thomas Jefferson Coolidge Prize of $100, annually given to the member of the Harvard team in the H-Y-P-Debate, (in which Princeton did not enter this year), who prepares the best speech on the subject of the debate.

Meeting Attracts 75 Men

Harvard upheld the negative side of the question, "Resolved, That Herbert Hoover should be elected President in 1932", in its arguments in Cambridge, and the affirmative side of the same topic at Yale. About 75 people attended the meeting in Lowell House, and heard the judges, Captain E. N. Edwards of Wellesley, J. E. Gibson of Newton Centre, and A. L. Moore of Boston, deliver the verdict, following which a session of questions from the floor was held.

Harvard's argument against the nomination of Hoover, as expressed by A. E. Phillips '34, Leo Srole '33, and D. M. Sullivan '32 in Lowell House last night, was the thesis of Hoover's inability to keep his campaign pledges, and his general lack of qualifications for the position. The Blue speakers dwelled on the courage he has shown in face of unusually difficult circumstances.

The victory of the Harvard delegation at New Haven was brought about by Cohen, J. J. Ryan '33, and C. L. Harris '34. Yale pointed out Hoover's shortsightedness and lack of initiative. Harvard laconically asked the Blue to pick out a better man for the job.