THAXTER, PROFESSOR OF BOTANY, DIES AT HOME

FELLOW OF AMERICAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES

Roland Thaxter '82, professor of Cryptogamic Botany, Emeritus, and Honorary Curator of the Farlow Herbarium of Cryptogamic Botany, died yesterday at his home. He was seventy-three years of age and had been ill for several months.

Professor Thaxter was born in Newton, August 28, 1858, and was the son of Levi L. and Celia (Laighton) Thaxter. He was graduated from Harvard with the degree of A.B. in 1882, and subsequently received his A.M. and Ph.D. in 1888.

He was assistant in biology at Harvard from 1886 to 1888, and mycologist at the Connecticut Agricultural Experimental Station from 1888 to 1891. Since that time he has been at Harvard. He became Emeritus in 1919.

During his long career Professor Thaxter has been associated with botanical and entomological expeditions to Newfoundland, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Jamaica, Florida, and many countries in South America and Europe.

His home was at 7 Scott street. He is survived by his wife, who was Mabel Gray Freeman, of Springfield, whom he married June 8, 1887; two daughters, Miss Katherine Thaxter and Mrs. Eliot Hubbard, Jr. (Elizabeth F. Thaxter), and a son, Edmund L. Thaxter.

He was a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a member of the American Philosophical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the National Academy of Sciences, and other bodies. He had written many monographs and papers especially on the fungous diseases of insects for scientific periodicals and the publications of scientific societies, and on cryptogamic botany.