CITY PLANNING SCHOOL ANNOUNCES NEW COURSE

FINAL HALF YEAR FOR DESIGNING IDEAL CITY AND LOCATION

Included in the present curriculum of Harvard University is now an advanced graduate course in city planning which will provide instruction in practically every phase of metropolitan project development. News of the course was made known at University Hall yesterday.

The courses in the City Planning School lead to the degree of Master of City Planning, which usually requires three years to attain, and for which a previous Bachelor of Arts is a prerequisite.

Lectures in the series are given by practicing city planners, each one treating the phase of the subject with which he is the most familiar, and the lecture course is followed by a project course, dealing with practical applications, such as plotting regulations, building and housing codes and zoning ordinances.

Paralleling the lecture courses the student works on problems of design, in such subjects as thoroughfare systems, transit systems and railroads. The final half-year in design is devoted to the preparation of an ideal city, combining qualities studied in the school and located on a piece of ground which the student can visit.

The announcement of the addition to the curriculum was made concurrently with the publication in the annual survey number of "City Planning," the official organ of the American City Planning Institute and the National Conference on City Planning, of an article describing the courses by H. V. Hubbard '97 and H. K. Menhinick.