Through Red Colored Glasses

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer will names be with-held.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

It is true that your editorial on "Communist Calm" yesterday hardly deserves refutation, and the empty sophistry of it should not be dignified by counter-argument. It is unfortunate that the only organ for expressing undergraduate sentiment on current affairs should be no more liberal or thoughtful in its attitude to tremendous problems than the CRIMSON in such editorials as this.

In the first place, allow men to point out the utter falsity of the "facts" on which the whole editorial rests; headlines in the New York Herald-Tribune for Monday morning read "May Day Mob Beats Official At Melbourne; Polish Police Fire on 700; Tokio Seizes 1200 Reds; Spain Arrests Scores; Racial Strife In Africa; 80 Faint in Berlin Arena; Hyde Park Has Riot," while a front page story calls the New York May Day parade "the biggest communist turnout this city has seen." Your editor must evidently have spent the day in the poetry room of Widener, or perhaps talking with Professor Carver.

"Widespread depression has tended to lessen the contrast between rich and poor" is the comforting assertion of the hunger stricken author of the editorial. Doubtless he has had the insufferable experience of being deprived of his caviar for breakfast or perhaps this year can have as his extra car only a Buick instead of a Packard.

"In fact the former oppressors of the working man, communistically speaking, are now the agents in society working hardest to help him out." And let us add that perhaps they oppressed him for his own good.

What an admirable way to avoid the issue by calling in the supernatural to explain the business cycle! The dithyrambic clap-trap with which the editorial ends is a fitting conclusion to this remarkable display of intelligence: "The silence of agitators who failed to stir is a challenge made by uneasy, yet confident labor, to those in the saddle to apply the crop and spur to a steed from whom much must be expected in the future." Henry Ehrlich '34.