UNIVERSITY APPOINTS NINE TO FACULTY POSTS

Caron Named as Exchange Professor in Place of Schmidt--Several Receive Advancements in College

Appointment of Pierre Caron, chief of the section of Modern History in the French National Archives, as exchange professor from France during the first half of next year, has been announced in conjunction with eight other appointments and advancements in the faculty.

George LaPiana, professor of Church History, has been chosen as the first incumbent of the John Hopkins Morison professorship of Theology at the Theological School, founded under the will of R. S. Morison '69 in memory of his father.

Other appoints to go into effect in September include that of David V. Widder '20, assistant professor of Mathematics; John Tileston Edsall '23, instructor in Bio-Chemical Sciences, as assistant professor of Biological Chemistry; and Arthur Kilgore McComb '21, instructor in Fine Arts, as assistant professor of Fine Arts. Joao Frederico Normano, associate director of the Harvard Bureau of Economic Research in Latin America, will serve next year as lecturer on Economics.

Newton Henry Black '96 assistant professor of Education and recently ap- pointed director of the Summer School, has been made an assistant professor of Physics. Theodore James Blanchard Stier, instructor in General Physiology has been appointed as associate director of the Laboratory of General Physiology, and Frederick Herman Verhoeff, professor of Opthalmic Research at the Medical School, as director of the Howe Laboratory of Opthalmology