STRONG WINDS PREVENT CREWS FROM PRACTICING

YALE EIGHTS ALSO CONFINED TO SHORT TRIPS AT GALES FERRY

Red Top, Conn., June 9--A strong westerly wind prevented the Crimson crews from taking their scheduled workouts this morning here on the Thames. Coach Whiteside took his Varsity and Junior Varsity sweepswingers down as far as the two-mile mark but the rapidly freshening breeze sent the eights back to the shelter of the boat house in confusion. The Freshman and Combination crews repeated this roundtrip, Coach Haines finding the waves too hard for his charges. Although the Harvard oarsmen waited until after 8 o'clock last evening, the wind refused to die down, and four miles was all the crews could cover.

No changes were made in the seatings of any of the boats yesterday. Parker saw his second day as Varsity stroke oar, to which position he was raised yesterday from the Jayvee ranks, to supplant Cassedy. His father, A. H. Parker '97, of Boston, and old Crimson crew man, was on hand to watch and give suggestions.

The Yale eight and its Jayvee escort was also bothered by the wind at the Eli's headquarters at Gales Ferry. The combination crew managed to do two and one-half miles, while the first-year Elis were content with a short paddle.