THE PLAY

New York is being delighted with a comedy given at the public's expense which eclipses anything that the professional stage has to offer. At the present the leading comedy role is filled by that inimitable veteran of the boards, James Walker, who is playing the injured and innocent mayor with a heart of gold ever ready at his tongue's tip. Supporting him is his brother in the traditional role of the doctor whose sole remedy is to bleed his patients whether they suffer from indigestion or from starvation. In addition to the Mayor and his brother there are a number of democratic gentlemen who have been especially hired for the present performance to provide the incidental music and the off-stage noises. The direction of this comedy is in the hands of Samuel Seabury who so successfully produced "The Magistrate Scandals" of 1931. The entire production has been organized and financed by The Loyal Sons of the Republican Party, Albany Chapter, who have so long been disinterested onlookers in the internal affairs of the city. The most notable success of the Grand Old Party, of which the Loyal Sons are members, was the production of that delightful fantasy, "Prosperity." Since this success the plays staged by the G.O.P. have been less well received.

Authorities in Hollywood have been eager to secure the rights to the Seabury-Hofstadter success and they have been in constant communication with authorities in the East. However before the play can go on the screen a suitable title must be selected for it. Whether it is to be called "Much Ado About Nothing", as Mayor Walker would have it or "Measure for Measure" as Mr. Seabury prefers depends upon the decision of a Mr. Roosevelt in Albany, to whom the matter has been referred for arbitration. Mr. Roosevelt, it has been learned, has left home, leaving a message that he would not be back until the latter part of November.