"Copey" Leaves Yard For New Quarters After Thirty Years of Residence--Hollis 15 Renovated, Given Over to Freshmen

For the first time in twenty years, Hollis 15 is no longer the home of Charles Townsend Copeland '82, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, emeritus, and "Copey" to several generations of Harvard men. At the urgent request of his doctor, "Copey" and the atmosphere that was Hollis 15 have departed from the Yard. His new home, until yesterday a closely guarded secret, has been disclosed as Lexington Hall, on Concord Avenue, Cambridge.

Several causes combined to lend force to his doctor's arguments that the famous teacher of English, now 72 years of age, leave the Yard: the three flights of stairs, the necessity of better food than that brought over from the Union, and the greater noise occasioned by the presence of Freshmen in the Yard. During August the books, pictures, photographs, and bric-a-brac, gifts of "Copey's" many admirers, which literally covered the walls of Hollis 15, were transferred to his new lodgings under the direction of Major C. R. Apted '06, of the Harvard Yard Police.

Professor Copeland came to Harvard in 1893 as lecturer on English Literature, becoming assistant professor in 1910 and associate professor in 1917. In 1925 he was made the Boylston professor, there by acquiring the traditional right, never exercised, of pasturing a cow in the Yard.

Since his retirement, two years ago, "Copey" has continued to give annual Christmas readings at the Union, until last year open to the whole College, but then closed to all but Freshmen for lack of room. In addition, he is accustomed to give readings at the Harvard Club of New York as the guest of the Charles Townsend Copeland Association, made up of his former students.

Hollis 15 and the two companion rooms in the same hall are now given over to Freshmen, renovated for the first time in many years, electricity installed, and the lamp smoke of twenty years removed from the ceiling. It is the passing from the Yard of one of Harvard's few "living traditions."