THE CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Sherwood Displays a Sharp Wit in His New Comedy Starring the Theatre Guild

Briefly, the plot of this latest Theatre Guild production concerns itself with a prominent Viennese attorney who in the midst of one of those episodes known as "affairs" is confronted with a 17 year old son as evidence of an earlier one. The mother of this lad wants his father to take him under his wing, and the play revolves about the point of whether or not the father shall do this. If he does shall the mother stay with him too? Hardly, thinks the present provider of his bliss. The son, who until this time has led a cloistered existence is attracted by the mistress of his father, and there we are.

Here is material for a good drama or a good comedy. Unfortunately, the Hungarian Sil-Vara who penned the piece, has taken his stand directly between these possibilities. He has chosen to deal lightly with the subjects, tossing epigrams hither and yon every once in a while to keep us amused. But he has not done it as well as it has been done many times before. He has also chosen to have his characters release certain ponderous sayings from time to time, to keep the play out of the pure comedy class. These dicta are sound but not better said than countless others have said them. In other words, "Caprice" while an amusing play is one which falls considerably short of being worthy stuff either as parlor comedy or as straight social problem drama.

But "Caprice" has one good point beyond any doubt. It is a much better vehicle for the Theatre Guild actors than was "The Guardsman". In other words, if as so many people were, you were greatly pleased by the acting in the Molnar play. "Caprice" will show you that relative to Guild standards of acting that performance was but mediocre. The acting redeems whatever complaints one may have against the play as such. Mr. Lunt as the attorney is admirable, and Miss Fontanne the usual delight. The work of Mr. Montgomery as the dreamy son, and of Lily Cahill as his mother is equally good.