ZOOLOGY LABORATORIES

The building of the new Biology Laboratories although providing facilities for graduate study, has in no way relieved the congestion in the laboratory work in the elementary Biology courses which are required for entrance by medical schools. At present Zoology I and Zoology 3 are open only to a limited number of students due to lack of laboratory space, and many men who must have these courses for their premedical work or for their concentration in Biochemistry are being refused admission.

The laboratory space, even for those who are being admitted to the course, is inadequate for the best work. The laboratory which is now in use for Zoology 3 was built originally to accommodate sixty-four students and is now being used by one hundred. This crowded condition would in itself be a sufficient reason for the provision of more laboratory space, but the great inconvenience suffered by those excluded makes some new provision imperative.

A part of the new Biology Laboratory is now occupied by the Rindge Technical High School, and in the case of this pressing need, it might be possible that arrangements be made with this school so that part of its space could be used for these courses. Even the basements of Memorial Hall might be used to take care of the overflow temporally and until suitable quarters can be found; running water is already available there and more electric lights might be installed. Any of these solutions would, of course, be mere makeshifts to take care of the immediate necessity. When the University is out of its present financial difficulty, a separate building of biological laboratories should be provided for elementary courses.