RELAY TEAM WINS FROM HOLY CROSS IN GARDEN MEET

Passes Whole Field in Two-Mile Event To Take Lead--Hayes Makes Finals In High Hurdles

Over 50 members of the Varsity and Freshman track teams saw action for the first time this season in formal competition on Saturday night at the Boston Garden. The occasion was the William C. Prout Memorial games, sponsored annually by the Massachusetts Knights of Columbus.

Crimson Wins Relay

The outstanding event of the evening, from the Crimson point of view at least, was the Varsity one-mile relay race between Harvard and Holy Cross, which the Crimson won in the excellent time of 3 min., 26 3-5 sec. The first three men, T. F. Locke '35, E. E. Calvin '35, and J. M. Morse '34 were headed all the way by the Purple runners, but Captain Dodge, running anchor man for the Crimson, caught up with, and easily passed Morin of the Worcester college for a thrilling 10-yard victory. The time was the best of the evening.

Harvard made a great bid for victory in the two-mile relay race in which each man ran 880 yards. In a field of six colleges G. P. Rosen '33 got off to a poor start so that when he handed the baton to J. B. White '34, Harvard's chance looked poor indeed. But White, running with everything he had, did the impossible by passing the whole field and taking a commanding lead.

The Freshman relay team lost a close race to Holy Cross, and the Varsity Class B relay team came in third in the one-mile relay. J. J. Hayes '34 was the only Harvard man to reach the finals of the 45-yard metre high hurdles for the N.E.A.A.A.U. championship; he won his heat in the semifinals, but did not place in the finals, which were won by Mackenzie of Northeastern.