THE PROOF OF THE PUDDING

Our what is essentially a trial basis, all training tables are to be moved from the varsity club into the House dining halls for the remainder of this year, thus effecting a saving of some $1500 for the H.A.A.

Although at first glance this move may appear to be in keeping with the general concentration of activities in the Houses, there is something to be said in favor of those House masters who opposed just such a move two years ago on the basis that an alien element would thus be introduced in the House dining halls. Undoubtedly the first reaction of a House member on entering his dining room and seeing a large table filled with the members of other Houses does not tend toward making him become more House-conscious, nor is the House spirit of men at training tables in this situation necessarily increased. Moreover, difficulties and dissension will undoubtedly arise in various quarters over the choice of Houses as sites of the training tables.

As a medical precaution, the training table in such sports as football, track, and crew is valuable, but without doubt eating and loafing in the Varsity Club will contribute neither to House spirit nor to scholastic enterprise. The training table in the hallowed environment of the Varsity Club strengthens the morale and comradeship of a team, more than would be the case in a House dining hall. But it should lot be so much on this basis as on that of introducing an alien element into the House dining halls that the training tables should be sent back to the Varsity club as soon as financially practicable.