Russian Recognition, Political Not Economic, Says Rupert Emerson, Predicting Compromise

Hindmarsh Holds Balance of Power In East Will Be Destroyed, Disturbing Japan

The following interviews with Rupert Emerson '21, assistant professor of Government, and Albert E. Hindmarsh, instructor in government are published as part of the Crimson's regular series of interviews and articles by members of the faculty upon important trends and crises in current, national and world events.

Professor Emerson

"The establishment of a strong political force against Japanese aggression in the Far East is the significant consideration in the negotiations now being carried on at Washington for the recognition of Soviet Russia. The importance of establishing favorable trade relations between the two countries has been exaggerated, and political rather than economic forces are likely to dictate the policy of the United States on the other side of the globe in the future.

"The United States should have recognized the Soviet long ago as a matter of practical policy. Contrary to the Stimson doctrines of the last administration I feel that recognition does not normally carry with it approval of the ideas and institutions of the foreign state that is recognized."

Dr. Hindmarsh

"Recognition of Russia, although it does not seem to be a factor considered by the administration, will make a tremendous difference in the balance of power in the east. It will so strengthen the Soviet's position in Manchukuo that she can refuse to sell her railroad rights except at a figure many millions higher than Japan has offered for them.

"The great trade advantages both to the United States and to Russia which would result from recognition offer a logical and sufficient motive for this action, but Japanese statesmen, while politely expressing their approval of the move, cannot but regard the rapprochement with increasing disquietude.

"Any move which strengthens the Soviet brings closer the day when Russia will find it possible to resume a military interest in the disposition of northeastern Asia. The conflict over this territory is an historic one and has quieted down in the last few years only because of Russia's inability to resist."