PARADE

Last night the aboriginal inhabitants of Cambridge and the nerveless Freshmen of Wigglesworth Hall had the somewhat dubious pleasure of hearing a highly vocal NRA demonstration. From the standpoint of noise produced it was a roaring--not to say deafening--success, and the inclusion of the bands.

That there is any justification to such a display of vulgarity or that I will in nay way bolster the NRA I difficult indeed to see. Actually, what is happening is simply that the NRA is sinking to the grubby level of the back-clapping, hand-wrenching Rotarian, and will presently descend to the more congenial state of shrieking hysteria; it will thus attain to a shrill crescendo of asininity. The effect of the whole thing is comparable to that produced by a firecracker exploding in a bowl of whipped cream; by this time the worthy General Johnson must feel something like a well-used intellectual fingerbowl. It is not entirely without significance that the American Legion was the most prominent thing in the parade, for it bore a strong resemblance to a Legion convention, with, however, one great difference: last night the Legionnaires were sober.