BOOK OF THE WEEK

In Bermuda. By

The finding of a body of a beautiful young girl on a main highly on the serene island of is the occasion which sets in the adroit, speculative activities of the efficient Hamilton office force. With only a label, a bunch of lilies and empty scabbard as clues, the skillfully goes on to plot a in which surprise follows . with engaging regularity we find before us a story which a welcome freshness and originality.

From the outset the story moves at a rapid pace, short brisk chapters, each one which brings a new complex of situations or new discoveries to . The dialogue and characters are very convincing and the dull moments that do occur lost thought of by reason of the inevitability with which the dilemma arises at the end of every chapter.

Willoughby Sharp makes use of notoriety given to the of kidnaping, rum running, blackmailing and weaves it his central theme. He creates difficulties and then logically and gracefully each in its order, leaving the alternately perturbed and .

The author utilizes all the long-accepted conventions of the mystery story, but he does so with such ingenuity and creates such a welter of involved circumstances that we are almost entirely unaware of his technical trickery. After allowing us to suspect various people, the guilt is finally fastened on the person who is ostensibly least concerned with the characters in the book.

The pleasant variation from the general mystery story is the manner in which the various police officers working upon the case help each other and together see the thing through, so that in this story, instead of the one sterotyped super sleuth very nobly carrying on, we have the small group solve their problem by their cooperative efforts.

Mr. Sharp, who is a Harvard graduate, and a young retired member of the New York Stock Exchange, now a resident of Bermuda, has a good bit more to offer us than the average writer of murder stories. He unravels his sinister tale in fine literary style and writes vividly of a background he knows very well.

In his school days Mr. Sharp was a prolific contributor to the pulp magazines. The leisurely life in Bermuda appears to have given him a chance to revert to his boyhood hobby. He has already lodged the manuscript of another mystery, The Murder of the Honest Broker, with his publisher.