INTERHOUSE DANCE COMMITTEE

It was early foreseen that the seven Houses would need some coordinating agency in the matter of athletics. It was not foreseen that a similar agency might be necessary with regard to the social and intellectual activities of the Houses. Yet during the past two years there have been abundant conflicts among the activities of the Houses, and between those of the Houses and the University. As House activity increases, the resulting multiplicity of events will cause even greater confusion. Hence the importance of the suggestion in the Student Council report that there be a clearing house for University social functions.

The Council suggested that Mr. Luce, the Regent, assume the duties. It would seem more desirable for the Council to appoint a single student to this office, for an undergraduate necessarily carries a more sympathetic viewpoint to the resolution of conflicts. House Committee Chairmen should be required to register their activities with this student, and plan their House functions under his direction. Tea Dances, formals, discussion groups, important dinners and speeches, musical entertainments, plays--all these should be registered. It might be well to have occasional conferences of House Committee Chairmen, called by the Student Council appointee, to decide what conflicts might be tolerated.

Yet if this plan is to have any efficacy at all, it must be put into effect immediately. It is within those coming two weeks that the various House Committees will go into conference and plan the activities of their respective Houses. Now, before the seven different programs have issued in any definite form, the Council ought to set up the proper machinery.