RAISING SUGAR CANE

The failure of the United States to Intervene in Cuba during the last few days of disorder has caused much comment in the press. On the whole, opinion is that the administration does well to "give Cuba another chance," as the Transcript has it, and that a continuation of the watchful waiting policy is desirable.

In view of recent complications, however, it becomes increasingly evident that further delay in intervention will not be to the benefit of Cuba. Supported by an irresponsible soldiery, the student government of Grau San Martin seems incapable of maintaining itself. The Cuban citizen who has dodged bullets, seen his stores looted by drunken musketeers, and suffered from complete paralysis of commercial activity under the present regime will hardly welcome the opportunity of doing likewise under whatever transitory power may emceed it. It is conceivable that such a conservative, every day sort of Cuban might consider this "give Cuba another chance" attitude as carrying the patriotic ideal a bit too far.

If the United States, to avoid suspicion of imperialism, has merely been abstaining until conditions in Cuba shout for a mediator, certainly the time for intervention is now propitious. To ignore such wholesale slaughter as has recently taken place on Havana streets will extract what few teeth the much interpreted Platt Amendment has left, and establish a precedent which will make intervention in Cuba by the United States at any future date difficult or impossible.