VARSITY SWAMPS SCRUBS WITH FOUR SPEEDY SCORINGS

Sophomore End Out of Bates Game With Injury--Lane, Wells Outstanding For First-Stringers

By O. F. Ingram

The "New Deal" in football, initiated Tuesday, when the Varsity exhibited the much-needed pepper, continued in full force at Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon as the squad trounced the Jayvees with case.

During the offensive and defensive scrimmage yesterday the Varsity had no trouble in baffling the scrubs and slipping over the goal-line for four scores. Three of these touchdowns were made by the A club in less than 12 minutes. The good news, however, was tempered by the report that Shaun Kelly, the sophomore who was favored to start at right end against Bates, will be out of the game because of an injury suffered in the workout yesterday. Nazro is filling up the gap left by Kelly.

The Varsity was given the ball on their own 30 and after an exchange of kicks, Wells caught a punt at midfield, and led by excellent interference ran 50 yards for the first score. Wells placekicked the extra point. The Jayvees took the ball on their own 30 and following several unsuccessful attempts to dent the Varsity forward wall, gave it up as a bad job and punted short to their 40. Within scoring territory, the Varsity opened up with an aerial attack and Nazro snagged a Wells pass for 20 yards. Lane accounted for the second tally on a sweep from the 12-yard line.

Again given the ball on their own 30, the Varsity proceeded to run roughshod over the seconds and in six plays Lane again counted for six points. Lane contributed to this march with a 38-yard dash. Wells kicked the point after. Coach Casey sent in the B outfit and there was a noticeable let-down in the calibre of play but before the end of the session the Varsity had scored again, this time on a short buck by Deeb Peter.

Crane, who was replaced several days ago by Casey at center, was back on Team A as a substitute and it is not improbable to find him there on Saturday. Lane remained at the running back position, where he was on Tuesday and showed so much promise that he will probably find a starting berth.

Yesterday's Team A lineup: Choate, l.e.; Francisco, l.t.; Gulian, Crane, l.g.; Casey, c.; Gundlach, r.g.; Kopans, r.t.; Kelly, Nazro, r.e.; Wells, q.b.; Lane, l.h.b.; Waters, r.h.b.; Dean, f.b.