Medical School Celebrates 150th Anniversary in Sanders Theater

LOWELL, CONANT SPEAK TO MEDICAL MEN

Celebrating the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Harvard Medical School, exercises will be held this morning in Sanders Theatre by the President of the University and the Dean and Faculty of the Medical School. The ceremony is intended to repeat in part the exercises held at the College 150 years ago.

About 10.30 o'clock the Medical School Alumni and guests, with attending members of the Board of Overseers and the Corporation will be received on the stops of Harvard Hall by the President of the University, Medical Professors and associates. At 11 o'clock the college officials and other notables will form with the undergraduates to march to Sanders Theatre, where the students will pause until the others have entered the hall.

Opening the exercises, President Conant will call upon Dean Sperry to offer a prayer. The President will then deliver a short introductory address, in which he will mention the Medical School and the first two professors, Dr. John Warren and Dr. Benjamin Waterhouse, whose inaugural addresses will thereafter be recited.

When these speeches have been given, President Conant will ask for A. Lawrence Lowell '77, president emeritus of the University, to address the meeting. Following the singing of a hymn, the gathering will adjourn to the Faculty Club for luncheon.

Yesterday the Medical School alumni visited Boston hospitals, attended a series of talks at the School, and dined at an anniversary banquet in Vanderbilt Hall.

The celebration commemorates the opening of the school on October 7, 1783. At that time, John Warren and Benjamin Waterhouse were inducted into office as professors of the Harvard Medical School.