HARVARD'S 1200 GUESTS

At 10.45 o'clock this morning 1200 Cadets will enter the Yard as the guests of the University. In previous years the Cadets' annual visit to Cambridge has been noted for the good feeling that has existed between the gray-clad corps and their Harvard hosts. This year there will be a threatening cloud of unpleasantness over all the ceremonies in the Yard and in the Stadium. For, the most recent of two attacks on the Cadets and the Army game is still hanging fire.

This attack is the plan of the National Students' League to hold a mass pacifistic meeting on the steps of Memorial Hall this morning. If the Students' League were merely holding a peace assembly on Armistice Day, there would be no real objection. But the juxtaposition of the Cadets' marching and the League's meeting is obviously more than a coincidence. Apparently nought but divine intervention can stop the League. In the absence of such a miracle, it is sincerely to be hoped that the League will take pains to prevent specific acts from giving force to this supposed coincidence.

It would be a very great pity if the activities of a small, radical group of Harvard College should be the cause of depriving the whole University of one of its most impressive spectacles. Certainly the Army game has become second only to Yale in the estimation of both players and spectators. It is rapidly reaching the status of a permanent Harvard tradition. Leaving aside the fact that it is a startling breach of hospitality to hold such a demonstration, is it fair to the rest of the University for such a small group to give a false impression of the appreciation of the Army game as felt by the University as a whole? Surely there is no reason for greeting the Cadets this year with any less enthusiasm than in the past.