NORTON APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED BY DEC. 1

Fellowship, Founded 32 Years Ago, Is Available to Harvard and Radcliffe Students

Application for the Charles Eliot Norton Fellowship must be made not later than Friday, December 1, it was announced last night by Charles B. Gulick '90, chairman of the committee on the Fellowship.

This fellowship was founded 32 years ago by the late James Loeb '88, in memory of Professor Charles Eliot Norton. Undergraduates or graduates of Harvard University or Radcliffe are eligible. It is awarded by a committee of the Department of Classics, of which Professor Gulick is chairman, on the basis of a thesis on some approved subject and on such other evidence of classical scholarship as may be accessible. In special circumstances the committee may not require the thesis. In all cases the award is made without regard to the pecuniary need of the competitor.

The Fellowship carries an annual stipend of $1300, and its holder must study at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, devoting himself or herself to the study of some special subject in the field of Greek literature, history, art, archaeology, or topography.