Dean, Casey, and Farrell Chief Speakers For Freshman Football Rally on Friday in Union

Casey Favors Plan For Varsity Providing Impetus Comes From Student Body

In an effort to infuse the Freshman football team with a victorious spirit on the eve of their annual battle with the '37 Yale team, the Union Committee has announced their plans for a rally to be held Friday in the downstairs common room of the Union. This will be the first meeting of this sort to be held in six years. Coaches Casey and Farrell, and Captain. Dean will speak to the gathering, and after the talks there will be songs, cheering, and refreshments. The starting team for Saturday's game will be introduced from the platform and .the Freshman will have an opportunity to meet and to evidence their support in the members of their team.

The meeting is to be as brief and concise as possible, lasting not longer than half an hour. The rally is to begin at 7.30 o'clock, and the Committee urges all Freshman to attend.

Commenting on this action, Coach Eddie Casey said yesterday.

"A Freshman rally is an excellent idea and I feel that if the student body chose to adopt a similar plan, the reaction of the Varsity team would be entirely favorable.

"But, I do not believe in false rallies," he said. "A rally should be spontaneous and created by the students rather than by any conches or organization.

"The plan is particularly valuable for the Freshman team whose members have been accustomed to rallies in their prep schools. The Freshman rally is a method of strengthening class spirit and anything that creates such a bond is worthwhile.

"Any attempt at forcing such a thing would, of course, render it immediately valueless. I think that a sincere rallying of the student body is actually an incentive to better playing, both in the case of Varsity and Freshman teams."

Pointing out that Harvard was some-what unusual in having no type of Varsity rally, Coach Casey attributed this to the complexity of the University.

"In the case of smaller colleges, there are not as many other activities to divert the student body and rallies consequently assume more importance," he explained.