Boston Audiences More Receptive Than Others Says Fanny Brice---Theatres Are Getting Better

"Boston audiences stand out for their receptiveness," said Fanny Brice in an interview with the CRIMSON yesterday, "and the city surpasses others because its atmosphere and accommodations are well-suited to the needs and desires of those who follow the stage for their profession." Miss Brice, who is at present playing in the Ziegfeld Follies in Boston, is one of the foremost comediennes in this country and is well known for her amusing dances and burlesques.

"In my opinion," she continued, "the American stage is not on the same level that it was ten years ago, but it is slowly returning to those standards, isn't that right, Patsy?" the last addressed to her dog, who was gazing fondly at his mistress as she was applying her makeup.

"Furthermore, the system of production should be brought down to a relatively small scale. Hollywood should be allowed to handle all the big shows, and the simple plots should be left to the stage. One's personality is lost in the big theatre with a large audience, for contact with the audience, which is essential to the success of a play, is so easy to lose. Sam Harris' production, 'As Thousands Cheer,' is, to my mind, the nearest approach to this desirable new formula, and I think it should be followed. The theater is a place where people should go to think as well as be amused. I rarely go to comedies or musical shows, but I think that "Show Boat," is one of the finest productions I have ever seen. It is the style of entertainment that should be changed, rather than the entertainer, for it is hard to change an actor's conception of their work. One's work should be play, and it should be followed until it ceases to be play."

Aside from her interest in the stage, which is her life's work, Miss Brice confessed a weakness for wandering through antique stores and in her spare time she loves to go fishing. Her favorite actors, both on the stage and screen, are Paul Muni and Helen Hayes, and although she hasn't much to do with pictures she has lots of friends in Hollywood.