ALTERED VARSITY TO MEET FAVORED BRUIN TEAM TODAY

Lineup Radically Changed as Lane and Dean, Hit Hard in Army Game, Stay On Sidelines

By R. W. Paul '36

Unless all the signs are wrong, the game this afternoon should be one of the closest of the season, no matter whether the Varsity upsets Brown or merely adds one more to its list of defeats. The betting experts are giving the Bruins a slight edge, but if the Crimson offense once starts clicking it should be able to match Brown point for point.

Certainly both teams should score, judging from their records so far this season. In fact a week ago Harvard would have been a distinct though ragged favorite, but Brown's performance in upsetting Syracuse last Saturday gave the dopesters food for thought that was definitely unfavorable to Eddie Casey's proteges. The loss of Franny Lane and the probability that Captain Johnny Dean will be on the sidelines most of the time will give Harvard an added handicap.

Barring last-minute changes, Chester Litman will fill Lane's shoes at right halfback while Cedric Janien will substitute for Dean at fullback. Bob Haley at quarter and Danny Wells at left half will complete the roll. Litman would have seen action in any event, but against a fast-stepping outfit like Brown Lane's quick defensive work would have been invaluable. Just what Casey would have done with Litman if Lane had been ready for action is a problem. At the present time Casey is attempting to change the fundamental makeup of his backfield: having rejected Wells as a quarterback the coach tried to get along without a pass expert; now he is experimenting with Wells as a halfback, because the system of using two fast running halfbacks at the same time has proved a failure. A passer is needed.

Janien is admittedly a substitute, but he has been in nearly every game this year for a short time at least and should provide the necessary backfield weight.