PHI BETA KAPPA CHOOSES SIXTEEN MEMBERS OF 1934

Member of Last Year's Junior Eight Chosen To Head Society For Current Year

At a meeting of the Harvard chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, held at Lowell House last night, sixteen seniors were elected to the honorary society. This was the first meeting held under the new plan which was put into the constitution last spring. According to this plan no juniors and only sixteen seniors are elected in the fall.

The members-elect will be initiated at a dinner at Adams House on December 4. They are: Arthur Lawrence Abrams of Roxbury; Robert Calhoun Creel of Cambridge; Oscar Hirsh Davis of Mount Vernon, New York; Clement Lowell Harriss of Omaha, Nebraska; William Wallace Kirkpatrick of Chappaqua, New York; Albert Johnson Lynd of Oakland, California; David Levin of East Boston; Paul Lachlan MacKendrick of Dorchester; John Maier of Royersford, Pennsylvania; Joseph Neyer of New Rochelle, New York; Philander Silas Ratzkoff of Roxbury; Johnathan Barlow Richards of Red Oak, Iowa; John Thomas Sapienza of Irvington, New Jersey; Richard Bulger Schlatter of Fostoria, Ohio; John William Walsh, Jr. of Quincy; Dudley Albert Weiss of Medford.

Boorstin Elected First Marshal

Daniel Joseph Boorstin of Tulsa, Oklahoma, was elected First Marshal of the society at the meeting. No Second Marshal will be elected this year under the new plan.

The electing committee, presided over by Seth T. Gano '07, consisted of last year's Junior Eight and the following members of the Graduate Council: Charles C. Abbott, instructor in Economics, C. Crane Brinton '24, assistant professor in History, Richard C. Curtis '16, Mason Hammond '25, instructor in Greek, and Dean Hanford.

The Society will elect another group of members in the spring.