ELEVEN COMES TO LIFE TO TROUNCE ELI ON GRIDIRON

Captain, Many in First String Line To Be Lost For Next Season--Backfield Remains Fairly Intact

By B. O. F. ingram

Flashing a brand of football that it has shown only very rarely this season, the Varsity eleven administered a trouncing to the Blue outfit on the historic gridiron of the Stadium, and emerged victorious by the largest score since Eddie Mahan's club did the job in 1915.

The game is now history, but for the benefit of those who are still in ignorance the score was 19-6. Three perfectly executed passes and one of the longest runs on record turned the trick. Locke's jaunt down the field on the kickoff will go down in the annals as one of the most thrilling exhibitions of football seen in the series. Outrushed by Yale from scrimmages 152 yards to 78, Harvard managed to keep the game on ice after the touchdown by Haley after three minutes of the first quarter had elapsed.

Never before this season has the team worked together as it did last Saturday. Everything seemed to click, and the thought of Well's two passes early in the game kept the Eli secondaries in mortal terror all afternoon. The verdict of the stands with regard to the team, the coaches and Danny Wells was "All is forgiven" and critics paid high tribute to the eleven which has been the favorite object of censure this fall.

With the loss of Dean, Wells, Kopans and many others of their calibre, including the entire center squad, Coach Casey faces a trying task next fall. In spite of all the losses the backfield will be perhaps the least hard hit by graduation. Locke, Litman, Lane, Haley et al, will be back in full force next year. But the line situation is much more troubling. Three first string tackles, Kopans, Francisco and Rogers will be gone. To fill their places Casey has Burton and those coming up from the Freshman eleven. Even the brilliant Jayvee tackles, who looked good enough for the Varsity, Knowles and Barrows, will go in June. The two first-string guards, Gundlach and Schumann will be back but the stalwart reserves who played at least half of the Yale game, Healey and Crane, will be lost to the squad.