Hope Williams Engaged to Lots of Harvard Men But Married an Eli--Loves "Campus," However

"I've been engaged to several Harvard men, but I married a Yale man," admitted Hope Williams, now appearing in "All Good Americans" at the Plymouth Theatre, in a CRIMSON interview.

"But I love the Harvard campus, and I think that Widener Library is perfectly beautiful," she added in the husky voice that has made her famous on the stage.

At this point the interview was interrupted by a small, white, nondescript dog who was trying to climb into the interviewer's lap. "Johnny, get down," ordered Miss Williams, but Johnny was inclined to be disobedient. "You see, Johnny is really an important member of the cast, even though there was no part written for him in the play. He comes on the stage and whines and misbehaves, and is terribly restless, and doesn't realize he's on the stage. He makes everybody laugh when they should pay attention to the rest of us."

Fred Keating, her leading man, walked in the dressing room and he and Miss Williams gazed at Johnny ruefully and decided that he would probably have to be left backstage when the play arrives in New York. "I think we ought to have an overture," exclaimed Mr. Keating, and Miss Williams, who had just asserted that she preferred the legitimate stage to musical comedy, turned around laughing.

"I went out to Hollywood once to make a picture, but I never made it. There was a great deal of trouble, and I don't know what happened.

"I really can't think of the reason for liking the legitimate stage better. When I'm in a musical show, I like the shows without music, and vice versa."

"My favorite leading man? Why, Mr. Keating--of course." Miss Williams thinks that Jimmy Durante, with whom she appeared in "The New Yorkers" and "Strike Me Pink," is "wonderful." "He is exactly as funny off the stage as he is on."