BIOLOGISTS WILL HOLD MEETINGS AT HARVARD

Gathering of American Association for The Advancement of Science To Be Largely in Cambridge

Prominent biologists from all corners of the United States and Canada will convene December 28, 29, and 30 at the Biological Institute. These meetings will form a part of the annual convention of the American Association for the Advancement of Science which begins Wednesday, December 27 in Boston and Cambridge. Harvard is acting as host to the visiting scientists, but this fact will not appear formally on the program. However, the majority of the demonstrations and research experiments will be conducted by Harvard professors and assistants. About fifty of the laboratories in the Biological Institute will be used for the demonstrations and experiments.

Merritt L. Fornald '97, Fisher Professor of Natural History, will speak on "some beginnings of specific differentiation in plants," on Thursday, December 28. On Saturday, a joint meeting of the Phytopathological Society and the Potato Association of America will take place.

The two important sub-sciences of biology, zoology and botany will hold separate meetings at which papers will be read, the Harvard laboratories will be inspected, and demonstrations will be given. The Section on Zoology will use a large part of the Biological Institute, while botany will probably give its demonstrations in the Mallinckrodt Chemical Laboratory and hold its meetings in the biology building.