BOOK OF THE WEEK

there is an occasional, accidental union among the chapters which make up novel with its "Grand Hotel" in reality the book is a of seven short stories, each admirable in themselves, full of the sincerest touches. Eleanor calls upon her full knowledge of human types, gathered in true cosmopolitan fashion out of the experiences of her own youthful life. She does exceedingly well, particularly in the more pathetic stories of Franlcin Hanssemann, the school mistress, and Madame Lenosova, the actress attempting to salvage something of value and fame out of her long existing career so that she may impress an American movie-magnate. The author is especially adept in moving minor characters, such as the movie-magnate, Licbmann; through the several stories, giving them varied roles as they appear with the leading figures.

Lady Eleanor Smith, a woman not yet twenty-five years of age, is the daughter of the late Earl of Birkenhead. She is a woman of great beauty and is popular in English society. Her world is not limited to the narrow circles of sedate Mayfair. She has extensive knowledge of the circus, the theater, the world of sport, and of the great middle classes of England. She is quite capable of entering into sympathetic regard for the particular individuals she portrays, and she has an excellent knowledge of the milieus within which these individuals act. Her book is not a merry tale for light, inattentive perusal around the Christmas tree or fire place, but is a highly stimulating, thought-provoking lesson in life because it sets down so objectively, almost without any comment whatsoever, the essential realities of people with whose problems, large and small, we should never have become acquainted had it not been for this worthwhile account by Lady Eleanor. It is a book worth having and worth giving, at this season especially.