HERMAN GUNDLACH MADE CAPTAIN OF '34 FOOTBALL TEAM

Will Be One of Two Veterans to Return To Line Positions on Team For 1934 Football Season

Herman Gundlach, Jr. '35 was chosen leader of next year's football team when the 33 lettermen, Coach Eddie Casey, and Manager Hobart Spaulding '34 assembled at Notman's Studio yesterday afternoon for the 1933 team picture. Gundlach has played in all the games since the beginning of his Sophomore year, and has usually filled his position at guard.

Gundlach will be the fourteenth lineman to captain a Harvard team, and he is the only football man from the Class of 1935 who won his letter in his Sophomore year. Franny Schumann is the only other veteran who is returning to the central part of the line in 1934. Gundlach, whose home is in Houghton, Michigan, is only 20 years old. He prepared at Worcester Academy, where he played on the same team with Franny Lane and Bob Haley. Two more of his former teammates at Worcester are Jack Hill, recently elected captain of the 1934 Dartmouth team, and Bobby Kopf, who will be on the Princeton squad.

Weighing about 200 pounds, Gundlach has started in 15 of the last 16 Harvard games and has been forced out of action on account of injuries on only one occasion. That was in the Yale game over a week ago, and he was sent back onto the field before the close of the afternoon.

Despite the losses due to graduation Gundlach will have considerable veteran support in next year's team. His own part of the team, the line, will suffer most, with Schumann the only regular returning. Gulian, Littlefield, Brookings, and Casale are the other members of this year's squad who will be back in the line in 1934. At the ends there will be Shaun Kelly and Walter White, while the backfield's great losses in Johnny Dean and Danny Wells will be partly offset by Haley, Lane, Litman, Locke, Adzigian, Janien, Prouty and Moseley.