"OCRACY AND ISM"

In days when hectic journalists, technocrats, and parlor pinks jostle each other on the harping ground of economic planning, there is a natural desire among college undergraduates that there be some course presented to equip them with blueprints of future possibilities in their relation to past experience. Such a course Harvard's Economic department presents as Economics 7c, subtitled "Problems of Social Reconstruction," which is given during the first half-year, and is open to men who have taken Economics A.

This course obviously could be of immense value, but as with many of its half-year brothren, its ambitions are frustrated by the limitations of four months. Beginning with a discussion of the Marxian analysis and the minor satellites of anarchism, syndicalism, and guild socialism, Economics 7c goes on to consider tactics and concludes with a hasty survey of the economic problems involved in the creation and maintenance of any alternative system to capitalism. The result is necessarily superficial, reminiscent of the proverbial lick and a promise.

Further, although the course is obviously intended for men interested primarily in economics, there seems small reason in this day why men in any walk would not welcome a chance to investigate the mysteries of ism and ocracies. And since Economics A is the present prerequisite, there seems small reason why that requirement could not be altered to allow any student with a satisfactory background in Economics to undertake the course. That background could easily be acquired through even a brief study of some text of basic principles.

In short, the possibilities of Economics 7c have scarcely been recognized by the Department. Its value to the average undergraduate would be measurably increased by extending it to a full year's duration and liberalizing the entrance requirements.