REGISTRATION FOR SPEAKING CONTESTS ENDS FEBRUARY 27

In First Trials 10 Best Men Will Be Chosen--Selections May Be in Latin, Greek, or English

Registration of all men intending to compete for the Boylston and Lee Wade Public Speaking Prizes will close Monday, February 27, at 5 o'clock, it was announced yesterday. All Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores who are in good standing are eligible and should submit the selections which they intend to give for the approval of F. C. Packard '20, assistant professor of Public Speaking, who is in charge of the contest.

The preliminary trials will be held on March 15 and the final contest on March 29 in either Paine Hall, Fogg Art Museum, or the Rice Institute of Geographical Exploration. Ten men will be selected to speak in the finals and two of these will receive the first prizes of $50, while two others will receive awards of $35, provided by the Boylston stipend, as runners-up.

May Be in English, Latin, or Greek

The competitors must be prepared with a memorized selection of about five minutes length. The selections may be delivered in either English, Latin, or Greek. Professor Packard pointed out that the competitors need not choose passages from early writers, but may make their selections from good examples of contemporary literature.

The Boylston prize, the third oldest award of the University, was founded in 1817 by Ward Nicholas Boylston in honor of his uncle, who established the Boylston Professorship of Rhetoric and Oratory, and will be awarded this year for the one hundred and fifteenth time.

Last year's winner of the Lee Wade prize was M. F. Loewenstein '32, and of the Boylston prize, Charles Sedgewick '34. In former years the contest has been entered by such men as Charles Eliot Norton '46, Albert Bushnell Hart '80, Charles Townsend Copeland '82, George Russell Agassiz '84, Irvah Lester Winter '86, William E. B. Du Bois '90, and John Haynes Holmes '02.