ORGANIZATION OF ELIOT MEMORIAL NOW UNDER WAY

Association Hopes To Have Proposed Bridge at Gerry's Landing Named For Former President of University

Announcement of the temporary organization of the Charles William Eliot Memorial Association on February 10 was made yesterday by Professor Joseph H. Beale '82, temporary Secretary, and Professor Edwin H. Hall, temporary chairman of the organization. At the same time, by-laws of the organization were adopted.

The temporary organization recommends to the Association to hold on or near the hundredth birthday of Charles William Eliot, on March 20, 1934, a public meeting in his honor. The second and third by-laws of the organization read as follows: "The object of the Association is to secure the name of Charles William Eliot for the proposed bridge to be built over the Charles River at Gerry's landing, together with some suitable memorial in conjunction therewith, and to do honor to his memory in such other way or ways as may be approved by the association."

"Any person may become a member of the association by paying one dollar to the treasurer. The fees, except for necessary expenses, shall be used only in providing a memorial to Charles William Eliot."

A permanent memorial to President Eliot from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was proposed in a legislative bill by the Metropolitan Improvement Association, which believed that, with his centennial drawing near, the proposal is most opportune and would appeal to all Harvard men, whose support and cooperation is invited.