STUDENT COUNCIL MAY DROP UPPER CLASS ELECTIONS

Feel All Class Voting Will Be Dropped With Completion of House Plan--To Continue Freshman Elections

At the recent meeting of the Student Council, it was revealed yesterday afternoon by Hamilton Young '33, treasurer, the discussion hinged upon whether election of officers in the Sophomore and Junior classes should be continued for the next few years, or dropped now.

During the last few months pressure has been brought to bear upon the Council concerning this question, and it has suddenly become the main issue of debate. Figures release yesterday by Young show that these elections cost approximately $70 apiece. As in the case with the Freshman election, it was further explained, the reason for the comparatively moderate expenses of these elections as against the more prohibitive expense in the election of Senior class officers lies in the fact that photographs of prospective candidates are not used.

In spite of the fact that election expenses for both Sophomore and Junior classes amounts to but$140 a year, the Council considered the matter sufficiently important, in view of its greatly reduced budget, to discuss all sides of the question.

The problem was attacked from the angle that it was only a matter of time before the elections would be dropped automatically, with the solidification of the House Plan, which is fast taking the place of what little class spirit remains. However, an endeavor was made to determine whether they should be held this year and perhaps next year, as a final insurance that the Houses would increase their hold on the students.

The Student Council holds that Freshman elections are important and should be continued since the class itself is still a unit.

According to a plan decided upon some time ago, the Student Council will continue to hold elections for Senior class officers in the Houses as well as in the Yard buildings. The response that met this change was then explained as being a real defence of the House spirit which is definitely replacing class spirit.