STATE INSPECTOR DEMANDS CHANGES IN SHEPHERD HALL

Minor Improvements To Be Made in Hall Pending Replacement--Occupants of Dormitory Complain of Rents

Alterations must be made in Shepherd Hall, one of the University's dormitories for dropped Freshmen at 31 Holyoke Street, before the State Building Inspector will approve it any longer as a place of residence, it was learned last night from reliable sources. Within the next month steps will be taken to lessen the fire hazard, which was the chief objection raised by the Inspector in his examination of the building on Thursday afternoon.

Cannot Replace Hall

Officials at Lehman Hall, in charge of dormitory accommodations stated that the University cannot afford to replace Shepherd Hall at the present time, and the building is not considered of sufficient value to warrant extensive repairs. The system of fire-doors, which the Inspector held to be inadequate, will be improved, and an attempt will be made to lessen the other fire hazards caused by the wooden construction and external wiring.

Shepherd Hall, which for a number of years has been used as a dormitory for dropped Freshmen, was a boarding house until 1913, and was not purchased by the University until 1918. Numerous complaints have been received from the present occupants, who feel that the room rents are too high in view of the building's age and state of repair. At several different times in the past the University has announced its intention of repairing the Hall, but no evidence of improvements can be found.