CRIMSON TO HOLD BEER BALLOTING IN ALL DINING HALLS

Bone-dry Cambridge May Inflict Local Prohibition Ordinance -- Opinion of Student Body Sought

On Monday morning the CRIMSON will open a poll for the expression of student opinion upon the matter of beer drinking in the University dining halls. Ballots and ballot boxes will be placed in the Union and in each of the House dining halls, and voting will be open during meal times.

Follows Westcott Dictum

This action follows the assertion of the University administration, expressed through R. L. Westcott '16, Manager of the University dining halls, that to serve beer in the dining halls would be a breach of a long standing policy. Other authorities have expressed the opinion that such a stand was taken because of the fear that unfavorable publicity would attend the inclusion of beer on the University's menus. In conducting the poll, the CRIMSON wishes to sound out and give lively expression to student opinion on the issue.

It is understood that the city of Cambridge, by ordinance, forbids the sale of intoxicating liquors. According to present laws, there must be a special balloting to determine whether the local prohibition shall continue. In consideration of this possibility, the CRIMSON ballot will allow students to express an opinion as to whether the University should allow men to take beer into the dining and common rooms and to consume it there.