EIGHT FIRST-YEAR MEN CHOSEN FOR Y-P DEBATE

Bach, Quinn, Sullivan, Gordon To Take Affirmative For Harvard Freshmen In Triangular Contest

Eight Freshmen were selected last night for the triangular debate with Yale and Princeton on Friday, April 14, by W. S. Howell, instructor in Public Speaking, at the tryouts in the Union. Two teams were chosen, an affirmative and a negative.

On the affirmative team are J. S. Bach, Jr. '36, T. H. Quinn '36, A. G. Sullivan '36, and D. H. Gordon '36 as alternate, while the negative team consists of Melvin Levy '36, C. B. Feibleman '36, R. M. Cohen '36, and S. S. Alexander '36 as alternate.

The subject for the debate: "Resolved, That Socialism is a better economic system than capitalism." The affirmative team will debate the Yale negative team in the Union, and the negative team will journey to Princeton to meet the Princeton affirmative. The other two opposing Yale and Princeton teams will meet at New Haven. This debate will mark the most ambitious venture of the Freshman debating council in recent years.

Last evening each man spoke for five minutes on one aspect of the question under consideration. Preparation for the debate will be carried on under the guidance of Mr. Howell, assisted by F. C. Packard, Jr. '20, assistant professor of Public Speaking.