Matsuoka Calls on President Lowell During Flying Visit to University--Wishes League "God Speed" Despite Withdrawal

After escaping two plots to take his life, Yosuke Matsuoka, leader of the Japanese delegation to the League of Nations, called on President Lowell yesterday afternoon in the course of a short visit to the University.

At the close of a 30-minute talk with the President in the latter's private office, Matsuoka granted a short interview to the CRIMSON. He refused to discuss the Manchurian question, remarking that he did not wish to talk about state affairs if he could avoid it. "I have agreed to make a few short speeches at private gatherings, and tonight I plan to address the Japan Society, but aside from that, my only statement about the League of Nations and Japan is that Japan wishes the League 'God speed.' I know I speak for the majority of my people when I say that Japan has only good wishes for the future of the League. The fact that we were obliged to withdraw from it does not mean that Japan has lost faith in the League.

"My purpose in coming to Harvard is to see this great institution that has contributed so many distinguished men to Japan. Two of the greatest statesmen in modern Japan, Mr. Komura and Viscount Kaneko, have received degrees from Harvard. Naturally, I could not leave Harvard without seeing President Lowell."

When asked if he agreed with President Lowell's statements on Manchuria, Matsuoka said, "I have a great respect for President Lowell's opinion."

Matsuoka, who headed the Japanese delegation that recently walked out of the League Assembly, was threatened with death in New York City a few days ago. Yesterday while on the train on route to Boston, a second assassination plot was revealed when a railway police officer discovered two iron pipes wrapped in a Chinese flag lying across the track. Matsuoka was not informed of this plot until he reached Boston. He was accompanied by four detectives.

Frederick Moore '07, former councillor to the Japanese ministry for Foreign Affairs, escorted the League delegate on his visit to Boston. Moore was connected with the Paris Peace Conference of 1919 and is a former managing editor of Asia Magazine. He has traveled extensively in China.