GIBNEY AND COBB POLL MOST VOTES IN HAT ELECTION

Freshmen Cast Large Bloc For Lauriat, Wentworth -- Merriman and Lowell Tie as Voting Continues

Appealing primarily to a Freshman sense of humor a poll to discover the Harvard's Master Hat was inaugurated yesterday by the Harvard Lampoon, humourous undergraduate publication, in connection with a Boston department store.

True to tradition the Leverett Hares produced the Maddest Hatters in M. J. Gibney '34, who polled 54 votes, and Matthew Cobb '35, a Lampoon editor, receiver of 51. The financial district about Wigglesworth, Straus, and Matthews halls opened weak in the early hours of polling, but rallied toward the close to give strong support to Strafford Wentworth '36 and G. B. Lauriat '36 with 35 votes each.

Last of the leaders came Class Secretary D. M. Sullivan '33, who finding at noon that he had only four votes, clapped on his fedora and armed with cigars so rallied his forces that at the close of polling he had 12 followers.

Far behind, but not hopeless, came R. B. Merriman '96, Gurney Professor of History, tying A. L. Lowell '77, President of the University, with six votes, close upon whose heels came K. B. Murdock '16 with four ballots. Two votes were stars in the crown of Alfred Worcester '78, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene. Those who had only one included Alfred E. Smith, politcian; R. G. Noyes, tutor, and Eugene DuBois '33.

It was announced late last night that the seven votes for H. E. Clarke(e) '04, erroneously supposed by zealous Lamversity, were cast out.