Washington Grande Dame Is Amused at Several Incidents Since Democratic Invasion March 4--Huey Long Insulted

"My, back to buffet luncheons for another four years," remarked a Washington grande dame to a CRIMSON reporter during the vacation, summing up the recent democratic invasion of the nation's capital. In spite of her fears that this administration would be as disastrous to her career as that of Wilson, she proceeded to mention several things which could still amuse her.

"The Democrats probably will inhabit the deserted tents in Anacostia," she continued. "Why, they have completely done away with all formality at the White House. I was received there the other afternoon, if you call being herded into a room with 200 other people and waiting for the doors to open, a reception. The wife of a Republican state department official preceded me. When thanked by Mrs. Roosevelt, for what her husband had done, she said her husband had worked harder than he had for his own administration. 'Well, he had something to work on' was the squelching reply.

"Did you hear about Huey Long's letter, addressed Senator Huey Long, s.o.b.? He naturally was furious, and shouted that no one could call him that. Upon making inquiries at the post-office, he was informed that the letters stood for Senate Office Building. 'Well, that isn't what we call it down in Louisiana,' he sputtered.

"It is a shame that Sumner Welles neither received his hoped for appointment or entertained the Roosevelts at his elaborate house, especially rented for the vacation. I guess the protocol chief will fare better in his race for the Canadian appointment. He has tried hard enough.

"The Lou Douglases, the new Director of the Budget, and his wife, are about the best of the new crop. He was quite desperate the other morning, when, after explaining the cuts to the veterans, he was confronted with the fact that some $500,000 brass windows were just being placed in the Justice Department.

"No, we're in for an April shower. By the time four years are up we shall miss our Dolly Ganns and our Cissie Pattersons. Now, I am awfully sorry, I must rush off for a buffet affair for some 200 people. Isn't it vulgar?"