BELLOWING AT RUSSIA

Apparently only the more enraged by Soviet obstinacy, Great Britain is still bellowing imprecations and commands at the Russian government for its determination to try several English engineers accused of sabotage and bribery. Having obviously failed to budge the Kremlin by threats of a trade break-off unless the prisoners were unconditionally released, the English embassy has concentrated its attention on horror stories of inquisitionary OGPU tactics.

Specifically, the most recent White paper of the British diplomats charged the Bolsheviks with third-degree methods, day-long cross-examinations, and attempts to bribe Russians who were to pass on the work done by the Vickers Company. The embassy vehemently declares that the confessions signed by two of the British suspects were wrung out of them only after Mediaeval tortures and the strain of continuous questioning. In reply the Soviets have, of course, denied these allegations and reasserted that the men will be brought to public trial to answer the official charges.

As to the motives lying behind England's suspiciously frenzied actions, it is plain that she is doing all in her power to protect the business the Vickers Company is doing with Russia, both by preventing Soviet retaliation for company attempts at sabotage, and by hindering American recognition of the U.S.S.R. with its consequence of trade-rivalry. When the trial is held this month, these reasons will indubitably be further obscured by renewed bluster about the crucifixion of British subjects abroad.