SCOTCH LIBERALISM

A public meeting to condemn Fascism in Germany is to be held under the auspices of the Harvard Liberal Club, and the National Students League. To sanction such a meeting is decidedly illiberal of the Liberal Club. The subject, Fascism in Germany is far removed from issues at home; and the method, direct condemnation, far from the principles of fair discussion upon which the so called Liberal Club was organized. Such a meeting is only good for something if it wins converts and since it is couched thus, is terms of direct condemnation, taking for granted knowledge and convictions formed before attendance it is doubtful whether any one will go to the meeting who has not already made up his mind.

The Liberal Club would do better service of by pursuing its old policy and that of the present Harvard Inquiry in discussing fairly both sides of the question, and at the sacrifice of a definite decision, to learn the pros and cons of the situation. It would also be much more to the point if the organization would espouse some live issue nearer home, such as a discussion of the Fascist tendencies in the United States; or, if they must condemn something, let them try Mr. W. R. Hearst.

If there must be a direct attack, it is not for the Liberal Club of all organizations to condemn Fascism in Germany. This is the business of the National Students League. In pursuing its present course, the Liberal Club gives the best reason in the world for the existence of the Harvard Inquiry, and its own, impotence.