774 APPLICATIONS FOR HOUSES FILED BY FIRST-YEAR MEN

Total of 739 Rooms Open To Freshman Class--Committee Expects To Care For All Applicants

It was announced by the newly-formed Central Committee in charge of House assignments that 774 Freshmen have applied for residence in the Houses. This is an increase of 16 over last year, and 51 more than were received two years ago. It is expected that notice of assignments will be made before May 1.

The preliminary estimates of the committee, based on the number of men now living in College dormitories, indicated a maximum application of about 770. The fact that the actual applications have exceeded that number shows that several Freshmen now living at home have applied for admission to the Houses.

A preliminary examination of the blanks shows that applications for rooms priced at $260 or less are considerably in excess of the number available, while the demand for rooms priced at above $260 is less than the supply. For this reason a notice was posted in the Union on Tuesday asking all Freshmen who could afford to do so, to increase their stated maximum rental to include rooms priced above $260. Even when students cannot raise their maximum above $260, they are urged to relieve the demand for rooms at the lowest prices, by increasing the maximum amount by as much as they can afford. It was pointed out that men who complied with the request would increase their chances of successful assignment.

The total number of rooms available for members of the present Freshman class, the Committee stated, is about 739, or 35 less than the actual number of applications. With allowance for men who will not return to college next year, the Committee expects to be able to assign all of the remaining applicants to rooms in the Houses, provided a sufficiently large number of men increase their maximum rentals to include the rooms above $260.

In connection with this announcement, attention was also called to the temporary plan for student employment. Under this plan about 35 positions within the University will be made available to members of the Class of 1936 who are House residents. The remuneration for these jobs will vary from $300 down.