NINE VANQUISHES STRONG TIGER TEAM IN 6-5 ENCOUNTER

Crimson Goes Through Batting Order in Third Inning For Six Runs--Nassau Retaliates in Sixth Frame

Princeton, New Jersey, April 19--Scoring all its runs in, the third inning, the Varsity nine defeated Princeton here this afternoon by a 6-5 score as E. F. Loughlin '34 pitched his second victory of the season, although he allowed 13 hits and gave seven walks.

Samuels started on the mound for Princeton and lasted until the eventful third inning, when the Crimson batters blasted him out of the box with six consecutive hits. After Loughlin had rolled to the box, Adams was safe on a scratch infield single to Neel. Then in quick succession Ware followed with a Texas leaguer that dropped in short left and Thacher scorched a two-bagger which bounded in to the right-field stands. Adams crossed the plate but Ware was held on third by the two-base rule. With the infield playing close, Nevin cracked out a single to Gerhart to bring in both Ware and Thacher, giving the Crimson three runs to Princeton's none.

Gleason and McCaffrey added two more hits to knock the Princeton twirler out of the box, Wilson taking his place. With the bases filled, Follansbee muffed the first pitched ball letting Nevin come home, while Gleason went to third and McCaffrey moved up to second. The next batter, Hines, reached first, but Gleason was caught between third and home. A double steal enabled McCaffrey to score the Crimson's fifth tally. On the shortstop's error Sargent was safe at first, and Hines scored from second when Neel threw wild to the first baseman. Loughlin, coming to bat for the second time, fanned to end the inning, with the score six to nothing.

The Nassau broke into the scoring column with one run in the same inning when Loughlin lost control and passed five men. Neel, Berger, and Bramlette walked to fill the bases, and Purnell hit a long fly to score Neel. Getting another tally in the fourth on Knell's walk and hits by Neel and Bramlette, the Tigers came back with a three-run rally in the sixth to end the day's scoring.

The game was featured by fast loose playing, and more exciting than the number of runs scored would indicate.

The summary follows:

HARVARDAdams, c.f.  4  1  1  4  0  0Ware, r.f.  5  1  2  0  0  0Thacher, 3b.  4  1  1  0  4  1Nevin, c.  5  1  1  3  4  0Gleason, 1b.  4  0  1  11  0  0McCaffrey, l.f.  4  1  1  3  0  0Hines, 2b.  3  1  1  5  1  1Sargent, s.s.  3  0  0  1  1  0Loughlin, p.  3  0  0  0  2  035  6  8  27  12  2PRINCETONab  r  h  po  a  eNeel, s.s.  3  1  2  3  4  1Borger, 1b.  4  1  2  7  0  0Bramlette, 2b.  4  1  2  1  1  0Purnell, c.f.  3  0  0  3  0  0Kammer, l.f.  4  0  1  2  0  0Gerhard, r.f.  5  0  2  3  0  0Follansbee, c.  5  0  1  6  1  0Knell, 3b.  4  1  2  3  1  1Samuels, p.  1  0  0  0  1  0Wilson, p.  2  0  0  0  2  0*Croul  0  1  0  0  0  0**Wegener  1  0  0  0  0  036  5  12  27  10