THE DEBATING COUNCIL

More than once in these columns, the CRIMSON has directed attention to the fallen status of debating in the University life. The recent trials for the Coolidge Debating Prize once again give occasion for a consideration of this activity. Only twelve men reported for the tryouts; despite the enticement of a $100 prize, six gold medals, and the opportunity of facing Yale.

The Debating Council itself is largely to be blamed for this lack of interest. Not until the very day of the trials was the College reminded that there was a $100 prize. Apparently few students except the members of the Council were at all aware of this fact. The aim of the founder of this prize was to stimulate interest in debating among the general student body. It is difficult to see how an announcement six hours before the competition could possibly effect this aim. Yet this is only illustrative of the whole policy of the Council. It has put forth no effort whatsoever to make itself an interesting and attractive organization. In fact, as a debating society, it has not existed at all.

Weakly to reply to this by saying that there is no interest in debating is to state what is simply not the truth. Every year, there are from twenty-five to fifty of the incoming Freshmen who have distinguished themselves on preparatory school platforms. But the polar atmosphere of Harvard's Speaking and Debating Departments all too quickly chills this enthusiasm. The Sophomore year finds the fifty reduced to a paltry five or six, who with small heart and slight interest drag out a desultory three years of "Harvard College Debating."

There are only two ways in which the Debating Council can be given the stability requisite to making it a real society. One of these is to incorporate it into the Department of Speech--to put it definitely under the aegis and responsibility of that department. The other, and more expensive, alternative, is to give it a full time debate coach, who can devote his whole efforts to the development of the society. Unless these proposals are seriously considered, then Harvard will have failed in one of the major aspects of modern education; for the present facilities for debate and speech instruction, far from encouraging the undertaking of such work, might well stifle the enthusiasm of a Demosthenes.