OUT OF THE FLOCK

The slow dripping of animadversions against Shepherd Hall has at last penetrated the granite reserve of the administration: it announced today that the Hall would be closed, beginning next year. While the gloomy interior of the place has made it an excellent site for the decay to which students are given, and while some of the more decadent may mourn its passing for that reason, none in his right mind will weep at the bier of the lecherous old incubus. A malignant growth, it has been dislodged only by repeated complaints of various natures, and by the manifesto of the Commissioner of Public Safety; the slowness of its demise has not been the least reprehensible of its characteristics.

While most of the difficulties concerned were solved by the University's announcement, two still remain: in the first place, no immediate action has been taken in accordance with the Commissioner's warning; in the second place, it is possible that the death warrant may be retracted if other dormitories are crowded next year. Both of these conditions should be rectified at once; there is no excuse for not removing the fire hazard, and the only excuse for not making the condemnation final and independent of crowding elsewhere, is the precedent set by the University's general noncommital policy.