NINE'S DEFEAT BY LIONS BLOW TO LEAGUE HOPES

7-0 TROUNCING PUTS CRIMSON IN SECOND PLACE

Harvard's hopes for leading the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League were decisively terminated last Saturday afternoon in the scrimmage with an undefeated Columbia nine, when the Lions tallied five runs in the disastrous fifth, followed by a pair in the sixth, and held their opponents without score through nine innings.

Hitherto Harvard and Columbia had been neck and neck in the League race with 1.000 per cent, the Crimson having won two League contests, the Lions five. Harvard now stands second in the association with .667, and will not have a chance to raise its percentage until Thursday, May 6, when Pennsylvania arrives in Cambridge. Columbia will maintain its record of .887 percent at any rate until Monday, May 10, when they engage with Princeton on Thursday, May 13, when they have a double-header scheduled with the Big Green.

The difficulty with the Varsity seemed to be lack of coordination in the infield, although it was admittedly an off day for the team. In the fifth, scratch hits by the visiting nine and two mistakes in judgment by Loughlin filled the bases; weak hits and infield errors put five tallies for the Blue on the board before the inning was over. A legitimate three bagger in the next frame brought home two Columbia men to make it 7-0.

The summary: COLUMBIA   ab  bh  po  a Siergiez, l.f.  5  1  2  0 Linehan, s.s.  5  1  2  2 Brominski, c.  4  1  6  3 Matal, 2b.  5  0  2  1 McDowall, 1b.  4  0  12  1 Buchanan, r.f.  4  2  0  0 Sequin, 3b.  2  1  2  1 Riviero, c.f.  3  1  0  0 White, p.  4  1  1  6   36  8  27  14 HARVARD   ab  bh  po  a Adams, c.f.  5  2  5  0 Ware, r.f.  3  0  3  1 Thacher, 3b.  3  0  1  1 Nevin, c.  4  1  8  0

Gleason, 1b.  3  0  7  2McCaffrey, l.f.  4  2  0  0Hines, 2b.  2  0  1  1Sargent, s.s.  2  0  0  3Loughlin, p.  3  0  2  2*Mermes  1  0  0  0  35  5  27  10*Batted for Loughlin in the nint